8.13.2007

Did anyone else read the article about clearview a few weeks ago? It's the new typeface developed (and Federally approved) to take the place of highway gothic on all highway signs. I had never previously given much thought to the typeface on highway signs, but the difference in readability is pretty clear. The designers of Clearview had to come up with a typeface that was readable with only a quick glance and that would remain legible during halation, or the blurring that occurs when bright lights (such as headlights) hit reflective type.

2 comments:

R. Simpson said...

No, but check out this DoubleDagger song about
Clarendon

Jason said...

Yeah, I read it when it was first published in the NY Times. This probably displays my ignorance of the finer points of font selection, but I was hard pressed to see the difference in some of the images. I assume the distinction is clear in the field.